Why Should You Be Finding Laughter In Life?
There are many reasons why you should be working on finding laughter in life, but the all encompassing answer is that it is good for you. It can help you feel better, be healthier and just be more energetic to get up in the morning. There are times in life when sadness reigns and we all will have these times, but many of us allow even the smallest things to bring us down.
Finding laughter in life as much as we can takes a conscious effort. I know for myself, it’s something I have to work on daily. Granted, there is a lot of heartache and suffering in this world, but that just makes it all the more important to work on finding those things, which can amuse.
Here are some of the physical, mental and social benefits. And don’t forget, God is the author of joy, which includes laughter.
Physical Health Benefits:
- Boosts immunity
- Lowers stress hormones
- Decreases pain
- Relaxes your muscles
- Prevents heart disease
Mental Health Benefits:
- Adds joy and zest to life
- Eases anxiety and fear
- Relieves stress
- Improves mood
- Enhances resilience
- Strengthens relationships
- Attracts others to us
- Enhances teamwork
- Helps defuse conflict
- Promotes group bonding
Here are some ideas for finding laughter in life …
- Watch a funny movie or TV show.
- Go to a comedy club.
- Read the funny pages.
- Seek out funny people.
- Share a good joke or a funny story.
- Read books with humor.
- Have a funny game night with friends.
- Play with a pet.
- Try the new “laughter yoga” class.
- Goof around with your children.
- Do something silly.
- Make time for fun activities. Schedule it if you have to.
Finding Laughter In Life Starts With A Fresh Attitude
You can start with tangible ways to increase laughter in your day like some of the things above, but in my opinion, there is a little more to it than that. The above will help, but I believe it is a process of changing your attitude toward things in life. If you are generally a negative person who always sees the bad in things, developing a good sense of humor might be rough. It is important to look for the good in things and develop a more positive attitude. I don’t mean living with blinders on as obviously, there is a lot of bad around, but indeed, there is still good.
We need not close our eyes to the bad stuff around as we need to know those things to help us preserve our safety, etc., but we will be able to have more zest for life when we put our focus on the good. Humor can more easily come out of that.
Here are some more tips to help you work on your sense of humor.
- Being able to laugh, even at yourself. Know you are a valued person and be confident. This will help you to be able to enjoy others and laugh at yourself. You don’t need to have a chip on your shoulder. We all have embarrassing moments. Share yours and help others not get so stressed when they have one.
- Is there a situation that has some irony, even if not too pleasant of outcome? Life is weird sometimes, not all good, but even in an embarrassing or even not so good situation, there may be some humor there that could make the situation a little more tolerable.
- Maybe you need little notes help give you a chuckle. Maybe write yourself a joke and slip it in your lunch bag for later. How about a note on the mirror asking if you laughed today? If not, do something that allows some laughter before you crawl into bed. They say, don’t let the sun go down on your anger, but I say, don’t let the sun go down with no laughter. Is there a situation that makes you chuckle and an item that would remind you, like a toy or photo? Maybe you could put that on your desk at work or somewhere in your house.
- Funny Pictures. There are lots of funny photos on the internet and in books or posters. Put one or more on the wall, in your wallet, on the wall or in the office. Put photos about that bring smiles to you.
- Accept you can control everything. As much as we might want to control things in life or the icky way people behave sometimes, we can’t. We can’t fix everything, so you might as well give up that notion right now and work on your perception. Choose the way you are going to interact with life. Choosing a more positive, fun approach will help you be healthier and enjoy life more. And that might rub off on others around you, which helps others in their quest for better health and zest for life.
- What about stress? Stress is a part of everyone’s life to one degree or another and can steal your joy right away. You need to have an effective stress management plan, which can include humor and laughter. The stress humans face can be rather complex and include a variety of variables. An effective stress management plan may require more steps than just laughter depending on your situation, but including laughter in your day will be critical to get through any stressful situation in the long run and often the short run.
Finding Laughter In Life Is Easier For Some Than Others
With over a half century of living under my belt, I have observed that finding laughter in life is easier for some than others. I feel I have a sense of humor, however weird it might be, but I have to work on finding humor on a daily basis. My mother has said to me on numerous occasions that I was serious when I was born and others have reaffirmed that throughout my life. There are others that just seem to be laughing all the time. Where ever you are in this goal of finding laughter in life, it is a beneficial activity to keep on…